Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Valentine’s Day 2015

This year, 2015, Valentine’s Day came a week early for our family. Dustin was going to be in Asia for work on Valentine’s Day so for us, Valentine’s Day was February 3rd.

Last year on Valentine’s Day I was determined to start a new tradition and so this year I was excited for our second annual V-day dinner.

Valentine's Day 2015


I kept it simple this year, as in I didn’t purchase anything new, but decorated with Valentine’s decor that I have accumulated over the years. Valentines for my guys were cards and little buckets found in the dollar bin at Target filled with their favorite candy.

Valentine's Day 2015 Valentine's Day 2015
Valentine's Day 2015

Except for Reid. He received teethers.

Dessert was a heart shaped chocolate cake with pink tinted vanilla frosting. This was created using an 8”x8” square pan and a round pan with the circle cake cut in half. Thank you Pinterest. After I made the cake I realized I did, in fact, have an actual heart shaped pan that was given to me. Oh well, at least I’ll have it for next year.

Valentine's Day 2015

Everett “helped” me with the cake which meant eating leftover frosting out of the container with a spoon and the parts of the cake that crumbled when I popped them out of the pan. Needless to say, he didn’t eat very much of his actual lunch that day but it was a holiday so we let it slide.

Everett

Our Valentine’s Day felt a little off this year. Probably due to a combination of knowing Dustin was leaving soon and knowing he wouldn't be here on the actual day and Everett rebelling against taking his nap… Which I'm sure was caused by all the sugar he inhaled instead of his lunch. A definite Mom fail or Mom win depending on who you ask. Everett wasn’t too into the tradition of coming together as a family as much as he was into trying to grab the candy. Can’t say I blame him though, the poor little guy was tempted all day! He recovered once we ate dinner, turns out stuffed shells are another favorite of his.

Everett

Reid, who was celebrating his first Valentine's Day, loved his valentine teethers but…

Reid

the bucket was his favorite.

Reid

Though Valentine’s Day may have felt “off” it was still a very special evening. And it was proof that you don’t need an expensive dinner and fancy Valentines or that you must celebrate on the same day as the entire nation, but that it’s about celebrating the love you have any day.

Dustin
Karissa & Everett Dustin & Reid

I love these three valentines of mine, the joy they bring, the laughter we share and the memories we create together. And that is another reason why Valentine’s Day is my favorite. It is all about taking a day just to celebrate those very things with the ones you love.

Karissa & Everett Dustin & Reid

I love little Everett and all of his spunk and sweetness, his independence and his need to be with the ones he loves. And his cheeky little grin, curls awry on top of his head and his love of music and sticks always makes me smile.

Everett
I love little Reid and his determination to see and reach for everything and his determination to be on the move through all his bouncing, rolling and scooting. And the grin that takes up his entire face, his adoration of his big brother and his stubbornness to snuggle up to his mama when he’s tired makes me smile.

Reid

And I am still in love with my very first Valentine; his desire to provide for us and all the sacrifices he makes in order to do so, the way he wants to be with us even if that means staying in and watching “The Fresh Beat Band” over and over again. And watching him love on and play with our boys, work hard at the things he loves and his willingness to push things aside and listen to me talk about even the silliest things not only makes me smile but makes me so happy. Especially that last part. ;-)

Dustin & Karissa

I’m thankful for all my guys and I love our little family that together we create. One thing is for sure, I am one very lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...