Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Reid Harrison's Birth Story

Our little Reid Man is finally here! He arrived on Tuesday, August 26th at 5:58 PM weighing 7 lbs 9.4 oz and measuring 20.5 inches long.



We thought for sure Reid would arrive on his own and come early but the closer we got to my due date the more we realized that was unlikely to happen. Normally my doctor's office would have me go until 41 weeks before they would schedule an induction but due to my platelet count dropping they scheduled it two days before my due date. Apparently this worked for Reid because at 3:40 am that morning I woke up with contractions. These were more intense than the Braxton Hicks I had been having, were five minutes apart and did not go away with position changes or walking. So after waiting an hour I called the doctor and they told me to come on in. We dropped Everett off with his Mimi and Papa and headed to the hospital. By the time we got there the contractions had slowed down and I was only dilated one centimeter. This was very frustrating to hear! By 9:30 am they had checked me again and I was still at one centimeter and the contractions had started to slow down. They stuck with the induction plan though, started me on the gel to hopefully get things moving and told me to plan on staying. They were pretty sure things would now progress quickly and the baby would arrive that day. Reid was finally on his way!
Within 15 minutes or so the contractions increased in intensity and I went from contracting every six minutes to every three. By noon I was already four and half centimeters and they moved me from the observation room to my own private room. The contractions continued to increase, a few hours later I was six and half centimeters and they broke my water. By this point the pain was getting to me and I asked for Stadol. I had had this when I was in labor with Everett and I knew it would get me through to the end. The stuff knocks me out in between contractions and this time was no exception. I was drowsy  and able to sleep until a contraction came and then I was knocked out again. This continued until the urge to push overcame me and kept me awake. By this point I was about eight centimeters and taking each contraction the best I could but the need to push was pushing me over the edge. No pun intended. Though it felt longer I was soon nine centimeters and then almost ten. At this point I was fighting the urge to push and this was more painful and traumatic to me then the contractions. They finally said it was time and after one long push Reid Harrison made his way into the world.



At first glance we thought he looked just like his big brother but we quickly realized he had a look all of his own and that he actually favored his dad. He had hair though and it was a darker blonde. Overall, he definitely was a beautiful and healthy baby boy.



I hadn't doubted that it would happen but once again it was love at first sight. It's amazing how when you see your child for the very first time how the love you feel for them overwhelms you. Once again seeing my son brought me to tears and reminded me that nine months of pregnancy, hours of laboring in pain were all worth it for this moment. Funny how quickly you forget about all your complaints when you hear that first little cry. Unlike with Everett I was able to hold Reid for the longest time. It was so sweet to have him snuggled up on the outside of me. I'm so glad I was able to have that time and wish that I had been able to experience that with Everett.
 Speaking of Everett... Everett had been staying with Dustin's parents and when they brought him to the hospital for the first time to meet his little brother he wasn't too sure. He wasn't happy with his dad or I at all and didn't have much interest in Reid either.
This shot is so sweet but...
this was the reality.
Despite the uncertainty on Everett's part we are all very happy to welcome this second little man into our family. He's perfect and though he had only been in the world a few hours it felt as though he had always belonged to us. We're thanking God for a safe delivery and healthy baby and mom, once again He has been so very good to us!
After two days in the hospital we were able to leave the hospital, pick up Everett on the way and as a new family of four head home together. We were looking forward to this moment as we wanted Everett to be able to adjust as well as the rest of us. We were also excited about just being home together as a family.
Once we got home Everett slowly warmed back up to Dustin and I and started to show more interest in his brother. We are adjusting and getting into sync; with two babies it's been interesting rearranging things in order to get everything done. Though very tiring and sometimes chaotic we're having fun and falling more in love with Mr. Reid each moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...